[Milton-L] Leaving the Milton listserv

Brandon Taylor thenewpulp at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 17:02:10 EDT 2017

Hello, everyone. I have yet to reply to this list for any number of
reasons, but I feel compelled to do so now. I am a PhD student in Milton
Studies and I have been following this list for some time. I must say
regrettably that I am firmly in agreement with Ryan Paul that the openness
of this list is incredibly useful but it should also be managed carefully,
at least with respect to explicit trolling, self-aggrandizement, or content
that could easily be deemed as inflammatory.

All of these boxes have been firmly checked by the Terrance Lindall and I
believe some measures should be taken to exclude said person from the email
list to the benefit of the greater Milton community. When it comes to the
argument of free speech, particularly in the case of belligerence, I am
reminded of this quotation from Milton's *Areopagitica*: "Give me the
liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience,
above all liberties." We must pay particular attention to Milton's
qualification: *according to conscience*. Given the relative silence on
this list, and the very well articulated points brought forward by Ryan
Paul, I think the collective conscience of this group knows what measures
must be taken, but we must find the courage to do so.

When I read the wonderful and engaging contributions of John Leonard or
Richard Strier, I see very clearly the potential for this list. We should
strive to do better.

With that in mind, I am not leaving this list. However, I am firmly and
resolutely recommending that we no longer allow Terrance Lindall to
circulate messages on this platform.

I am hoping that others agree and, if so, they will speak up.

Thanks,
Brandon Taylor