[Milton-L] Milton and "the majesty of darkness" (was "Credited Wiki")

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Sat Nov 4 11:24:42 EDT 2017

As for the danger of associating a rich skin tone with "darkness," Milton was a man of his time, prone to the prejudices of his time (especially in the prose), but Terrance should recall that the goddess Melancholy in Il Penseroso is

Black, but in esteem,

Prince Memnon's sister might beseem,

Or that starred Ethiop queen that strove

To set her beauty's praise above

The sea-nymphs

The Ethiop queen is Cassiopeia. Ovid depicts her daughter Andromeda as black. Milton seems to be following this tradition rather than that of European painting, which depicts Andromeda as lily white.

John Leonard