[Milton-L] Credited Wiki

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Fri Nov 3 17:38:54 EDT 2017

My friends: Mr. Lindall is obviously teasing us all. And remember 'de gustibus.' A friend sent me a note about the students at Indiana University wishing to 'censor' a Grant Wood painting which includes --in a negative light-- some people dressed in KKK robes. The painting in question reflects a moment in Indiana history when the influence of the KKK in state government was exposed and the state was embarassed enough to take action against it. Of course, there are still KKK chapters in Indiana and, for all I know, in every state in the union. But there are also persons who believe in alien abduction and Satanic rituals being performed in Pizza Parlors in Washington D.C. ... or was that child sex slaves?  I remember when Butler University, back I think in the late seventies? decided to circulate and publish student evaluations. I taught a sophomore, non-major course called "The Changing Image of Man" which included a Gilgamesh version, Matthew's Gospel from the N.T., Voltaire's Candide, ... you get the picture. I think the final text was Flaubert's 'Un Cour Simple' (in translation). Well, three or four students reported that all we ever talked about in the course was sex and violence and they hated the course and me. The following semester, and you're not surprised to read it, I know, my enrollment in that class tripled and we had to find a bigger classroom. Proof again that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

I know things are harder now for those of you teaching, what with the notion that to find another's language or dress or physical appearance or politics or religion, ad infinitum must not be judged no matter what extent the person has gone to in order to attract judgement (hello Mr. Lindall) for fear of being accused of insensitivity and cultural oppression.  I remember, for instance, various groups on campus used to announce days when people should wear certain colors to support them and their cause. I'm sure that wouldn't work now because other groups would find ways to mock those trying to appear sympathetic to the group sponsoring the color. If I were teaching Milton or Blake or Hemingway or Faulkner or Homer or Aristophanes or Rabelais or Voltaire or Twain or Hawthorne or Melville or Donne or Dylan Thomas these days I believe I would post the following notice on my door:

Dr. Watt will almost certainly offend students' religious, political, aesthetic, digestive, and emotional beliefs, attitudes, affiliations and affections on a regular basis as the study of literature involves the complete range of human behaviour and thought across a span from the beginnings of literacy around 2100 B.C.E. with the Epic of Gilgamesh to the most recent novels, short stories, poems, plays and film scripts. Inside that relatively narrow space (five or six thousand years) of homo sapiens' existence on the planet (which is currently estimated at around 200,000 years ) just about everything said or done has been 'offensive' to some other members of the species and censorship is as old as obscenity and blasphemy.

Indeed, one man's deeply held beliefs are almost certainly another man's heresy.  if you want to study medicine, you must study disease as well as health --and if you want to study literature you must study curses as well as blessings and evil deeds as well as heroic ones. I cannot, therefore, promise you that what you read will not offend as much as delight you, knowing that what delights one of you is bound to offend another.

Nor can I claim that what I think about what we study will not offend as many as it pleases. It isn't my job to prevent your being offended; it's to encourage you to think for yourself and let those offended by your conclusions find a way to demonstrate the error[s] in your reasoning -- or shut the fuck up.

I loathe those of every stripe pursuing perfection and passionately hope one day they find it choking them to death.

fondly yours, unless you prefer my contempt,

jim watt