[Milton-L] Credited Wiki (Salwa)

John Staines jdstaines at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 13:46:38 EDT 2017


No, Salwa, you are not too sensitive.

I teach on a campus that is 80% non-white, and when I teach Milton, I am
often the only white man in the room.  My students, of all ethnicities and
creeds, come to love Milton and his challenges.  Thinking that a Google
search might bring one of them to such grotesquely racist images presented
as Miltonic turns my stomach.  The explanatory text that follows the
picture does not even deserve comment.

I have resisted resigning from this list since, on occasion, it still
produces some intellectually interesting ideas and debates.  Most scholars
of my generation and the next left long ago or never joined. Lately,
though, the list has mostly consisted of trolling and ignorance.  Maybe it
is time to put it down.

Sincerely,

John Staines
John Jay College, City University of New York


On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 1:22 PM, <milton-l-request at richmond.edu> wrote:

> Send Milton-L mailing list submissions to
>         milton-l at richmond.edu
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         https://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         milton-l-request at richmond.edu
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         milton-l-owner at richmond.edu
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Milton-L digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Credited Wiki (Terrance Lindall)
>    2. Re: Credited Wiki (Salwa)
>    3. Re: Credited Wiki (Salwa)
>    4. Re: Credited Wiki (Graham, Jean)
>    5. Re: Credited Wiki (Graham, Jean)
>    6. Re: Credited Wiki (Margaret Thickstun)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 12:37:01 -0400
> From: Terrance Lindall <tlindall at gmail.com>
> To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> Subject: [Milton-L] Credited Wiki
> Message-ID:
>         <CAPXDMnk1MN_cnMzUnU5-imsbREEPt9taqw8QjRpNuwec5fmm7A
> @mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Dear Guys:
>
> I credited the Wiki source on my Wordpress site and WIX Site. Thanks for
> pointing out my sloppiness. At the glorious age of 73 one gets a bit lazy.
>
> I used to be a good scholar, original research, solid reasoning and
> meticulous crediting. Strong suit was logic. My Milton professor said in
> praise on my final exam that I still have in my archives,  "Milton would
> have reasoned thus!" Graduated Magna Cum Laude with double majors and a
> double minor.
>
> I see Wordpress got over 90 views on that one day. Thanks for looking.
>
> Have you seen my latest Milton Portrait:
>
> https://issuu.com/lindall/docs/satan_as_a_black_man_reduced
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/
> attachments/20171103/a522a0b8/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 11:53:12 -0500
> From: "Salwa" <skhoddam at cox.net>
> To: "'John Milton Discussion List'" <milton-l at richmond.edu>,    "'John
>         Milton Discussion List'" <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Credited Wiki
> Message-ID: <006201d354c4$3cf1f750$b6d5e5f0$@cox.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Dear All,
>
> Maybe I?m too sensitive, or maybe I misinterpreted it, but I?m insulted by
> Terrance Lindall?s Milton Portrait.
>
> I do wish that such postings do not find their way into our Milton
> Discussion List. I do appreciate it though that the Wiki source was
> credited.
>
> Salwa
>
>
>
> Salwa Khoddam, PhD.
>
> Professor of English, Emerita
>
> Oklahoma City University
>
>
>
> From: milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu [mailto:milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu]
> On Behalf Of Terrance Lindall
> Sent: Friday, November 3, 2017 11:37 AM
> To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> Subject: [Milton-L] Credited Wiki
>
>
>
> Dear Guys:
>
> I credited the Wiki source on my Wordpress site and WIX Site. Thanks for
> pointing out my sloppiness. At the glorious age of 73 one gets a bit lazy.
>
> I used to be a good scholar, original research, solid reasoning and
> meticulous crediting. Strong suit was logic. My Milton professor said in
> praise on my final exam that I still have in my archives,  "Milton would
> have reasoned thus!" Graduated Magna Cum Laude with double majors and a
> double minor.
>
> I see Wordpress got over 90 views on that one day. Thanks for looking.
>
> Have you seen my latest Milton Portrait:
>
>
> https://issuu.com/lindall/docs/satan_as_a_black_man_reduced
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/
> attachments/20171103/02060c19/attachment-0002.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 11:53:12 -0500
> From: "Salwa" <skhoddam at cox.net>
> To: "'John Milton Discussion List'" <milton-l at richmond.edu>,    "'John
>         Milton Discussion List'" <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Credited Wiki
> Message-ID: <006201d354c4$3cf1f750$b6d5e5f0$@cox.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Dear All,
>
> Maybe I?m too sensitive, or maybe I misinterpreted it, but I?m insulted by
> Terrance Lindall?s Milton Portrait.
>
> I do wish that such postings do not find their way into our Milton
> Discussion List. I do appreciate it though that the Wiki source was
> credited.
>
> Salwa
>
>
>
> Salwa Khoddam, PhD.
>
> Professor of English, Emerita
>
> Oklahoma City University
>
>
>
> From: milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu [mailto:milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu]
> On Behalf Of Terrance Lindall
> Sent: Friday, November 3, 2017 11:37 AM
> To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> Subject: [Milton-L] Credited Wiki
>
>
>
> Dear Guys:
>
> I credited the Wiki source on my Wordpress site and WIX Site. Thanks for
> pointing out my sloppiness. At the glorious age of 73 one gets a bit lazy.
>
> I used to be a good scholar, original research, solid reasoning and
> meticulous crediting. Strong suit was logic. My Milton professor said in
> praise on my final exam that I still have in my archives,  "Milton would
> have reasoned thus!" Graduated Magna Cum Laude with double majors and a
> double minor.
>
> I see Wordpress got over 90 views on that one day. Thanks for looking.
>
> Have you seen my latest Milton Portrait:
>
>
> https://issuu.com/lindall/docs/satan_as_a_black_man_reduced
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/
> attachments/20171103/02060c19/attachment-0003.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 13:01:41 -0400
> From: "Graham, Jean" <graham at tcnj.edu>
> To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at richmond.edu>
> Cc: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Credited Wiki
> Message-ID:
>         <CAH1vFy82RoDRcXVLavyUXSsZos8rx1c+n9rhuaxv97NL7yw2_Q at mail.
> gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> I am also glad that the source is acknowledged, Salwa, and I find the image
> offensive.
>
> Jean
>
>
> Dr. Jean E. Graham
> Professor and Associate Chair
> Department of English, The College of New Jersey
> Bliss Hall 135 (inside Bliss 129, the department office suite)
> office hours: M 10-12 and 1-5, T 10-10:50 and 3:30-5, F 10-10:50, and by
> appointment
>
>
>
> On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Salwa <skhoddam at cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Maybe I?m too sensitive, or maybe I misinterpreted it, but I?m insulted
> by
> > Terrance Lindall?s Milton Portrait.
> >
> > I do wish that such postings do not find their way into our Milton
> > Discussion List. I do appreciate it though that the Wiki source was
> > credited.
> >
> > Salwa
> >
> >
> >
> > Salwa Khoddam, PhD.
> >
> > Professor of English, Emerita
> >
> > Oklahoma City University
> >
> >
> >
> > *From:* milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu [mailto:milton-l-bounces@
> > richmond.edu] *On Behalf Of *Terrance Lindall
> > *Sent:* Friday, November 3, 2017 11:37 AM
> > *To:* John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> > *Subject:* [Milton-L] Credited Wiki
> >
> >
> >
> > Dear Guys:
> >
> > I credited the Wiki source on my Wordpress site and WIX Site. Thanks for
> > pointing out my sloppiness. At the glorious age of 73 one gets a bit
> lazy.
> >
> > I used to be a good scholar, original research, solid reasoning and
> > meticulous crediting. Strong suit was logic. My Milton professor said in
> > praise on my final exam that I still have in my archives,  "Milton would
> > have reasoned thus!" Graduated Magna Cum Laude with double majors and a
> > double minor.
> >
> > I see Wordpress got over 90 views on that one day. Thanks for looking.
> >
> > Have you seen my latest Milton Portrait:
> >
> >
> > https://issuu.com/lindall/docs/satan_as_a_black_man_reduced
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Milton-L mailing list
> > Milton-L at richmond.edu
> > Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> > https://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
> >
> > Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/
> attachments/20171103/c63a2c1d/attachment-0002.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 13:01:41 -0400
> From: "Graham, Jean" <graham at tcnj.edu>
> To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at richmond.edu>
> Cc: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Credited Wiki
> Message-ID:
>         <CAH1vFy82RoDRcXVLavyUXSsZos8rx1c+n9rhuaxv97NL7yw2_Q at mail.
> gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> I am also glad that the source is acknowledged, Salwa, and I find the image
> offensive.
>
> Jean
>
>
> Dr. Jean E. Graham
> Professor and Associate Chair
> Department of English, The College of New Jersey
> Bliss Hall 135 (inside Bliss 129, the department office suite)
> office hours: M 10-12 and 1-5, T 10-10:50 and 3:30-5, F 10-10:50, and by
> appointment
>
>
>
> On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Salwa <skhoddam at cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Maybe I?m too sensitive, or maybe I misinterpreted it, but I?m insulted
> by
> > Terrance Lindall?s Milton Portrait.
> >
> > I do wish that such postings do not find their way into our Milton
> > Discussion List. I do appreciate it though that the Wiki source was
> > credited.
> >
> > Salwa
> >
> >
> >
> > Salwa Khoddam, PhD.
> >
> > Professor of English, Emerita
> >
> > Oklahoma City University
> >
> >
> >
> > *From:* milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu [mailto:milton-l-bounces@
> > richmond.edu] *On Behalf Of *Terrance Lindall
> > *Sent:* Friday, November 3, 2017 11:37 AM
> > *To:* John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> > *Subject:* [Milton-L] Credited Wiki
> >
> >
> >
> > Dear Guys:
> >
> > I credited the Wiki source on my Wordpress site and WIX Site. Thanks for
> > pointing out my sloppiness. At the glorious age of 73 one gets a bit
> lazy.
> >
> > I used to be a good scholar, original research, solid reasoning and
> > meticulous crediting. Strong suit was logic. My Milton professor said in
> > praise on my final exam that I still have in my archives,  "Milton would
> > have reasoned thus!" Graduated Magna Cum Laude with double majors and a
> > double minor.
> >
> > I see Wordpress got over 90 views on that one day. Thanks for looking.
> >
> > Have you seen my latest Milton Portrait:
> >
> >
> > https://issuu.com/lindall/docs/satan_as_a_black_man_reduced
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Milton-L mailing list
> > Milton-L at richmond.edu
> > Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> > https://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
> >
> > Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/
> attachments/20171103/c63a2c1d/attachment-0003.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 13:22:14 -0400
> From: Margaret Thickstun <mthickst at hamilton.edu>
> To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at richmond.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Credited Wiki
> Message-ID:
>         <CAPoRiGgpigpahCeYfEDoy-hX-9zjUq2aZokcgXdPZ9HjjU6DDQ@
> mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> We may all have looked, but I would have to agree with Salwa about this
> portrait. It is appalling.
>
> On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Salwa <skhoddam at cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Maybe I?m too sensitive, or maybe I misinterpreted it, but I?m insulted
> by
> > Terrance Lindall?s Milton Portrait.
> >
> > I do wish that such postings do not find their way into our Milton
> > Discussion List. I do appreciate it though that the Wiki source was
> > credited.
> >
> > Salwa
> >
> >
> >
> > Salwa Khoddam, PhD.
> >
> > Professor of English, Emerita
> >
> > Oklahoma City University
> >
> >
> >
> > *From:* milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu [mailto:milton-l-bounces@
> > richmond.edu] *On Behalf Of *Terrance Lindall
> > *Sent:* Friday, November 3, 2017 11:37 AM
> > *To:* John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
> > *Subject:* [Milton-L] Credited Wiki
> >
> >
> >
> > Dear Guys:
> >
> > I credited the Wiki source on my Wordpress site and WIX Site. Thanks for
> > pointing out my sloppiness. At the glorious age of 73 one gets a bit
> lazy.
> >
> > I used to be a good scholar, original research, solid reasoning and
> > meticulous crediting. Strong suit was logic. My Milton professor said in
> > praise on my final exam that I still have in my archives,  "Milton would
> > have reasoned thus!" Graduated Magna Cum Laude with double majors and a
> > double minor.
> >
> > I see Wordpress got over 90 views on that one day. Thanks for looking.
> >
> > Have you seen my latest Milton Portrait:
> >
> >
> > https://issuu.com/lindall/docs/satan_as_a_black_man_reduced
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Milton-L mailing list
> > Milton-L at richmond.edu
> > Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> > https://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
> >
> > Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Margaret Thickstun
> Jane Watson Irwin Professor of Literature
> Chair, Literature and Creative Writing
> Hamilton College
> 198 College Hill Road
> Clinton, NY 13323
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/
> attachments/20171103/29908df8/attachment.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Milton-L mailing list
> Milton-L at richmond.edu
> Manage your membership and access list archives at
> https://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
>
> Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
>
> End of Milton-L Digest, Vol 132, Issue 4
> ****************************************
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/attachments/20171103/463b6278/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Milton-L mailing list