[Milton-L] Credited Wiki

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 13:46:30 EDT 2017

I agree with Louis that the text only confirms the impression that the
painting is racist and reflects deep confusion about race in America as
well as about *Paradise Lost*. It may be honest and perhaps even on some
level well-intentioned, but it is misguided and disturbing (and not in a
good way).

Hannibal

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Shoulson, Jeffrey <
jeffrey.shoulson at uconn.edu> wrote:

> It’s truly ghastly.

> Jeffrey Shoulson, Ph.D.
> Interim Vice Provost for Interdisciplinary Initiatives
> Doris and Simon Konover Chair in Judaic Studies
> Professor of Literatures, Cultures, and Languages
> University of Connecticut
> 352 Mansfield Road, Unit 1086
> Storrs, CT 06268-1086
>
> (o) 860.486.6115 <(860)%20486-6115>
> (m) 305.742.6973 <(305)%20742-6973>
> (f) 860.486.6379 <(860)%20486-6379>
>

> On Nov 3, 2017, at 1:22 PM, Margaret Thickstun <mthickst at hamilton.edu>
> wrote:
>
> We may all have looked, but I would have to agree with Salwa about this
> portrait. It is appalling.
>
> On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Salwa <skhoddam at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Maybe I’m too sensitive, or maybe I misinterpreted it, but I’m insulted
>> by Terrance Lindall’s Milton Portrait.
>>
>> I do wish that such postings do not find their way into our Milton
>> Discussion List. I do appreciate it though that the Wiki source was
>> credited.
>>
>> Salwa
>>

>> Salwa Khoddam, PhD.
>>
>> Professor of English, Emerita
>>
>> Oklahoma City University

Hannibal Hamlin
Professor of English
The Ohio State University
Author of *The Bible in Shakespeare*, now available through all good
bookshops, or direct from Oxford University Press at
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199677610.do
164 Annie & John Glenn Ave., 421 Denney Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1340
hamlin.22 at osu.edu/
hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com