[Milton-L] Sure...

Schwartz, Louis lschwart at richmond.edu
Thu Nov 2 16:43:23 EDT 2017

Since it falls to me from time to time to moderate these discussions, let me say a few things:

1) Brendan's complaint about attributions is entirely legitimate in the context of an academic discussion list, and Nancy is correct that the problem would not have arisen if Terrance had used even a simple and informal method of attribution (for example, "as the Wikipedia article on .... says, ....").

2) I urge people to keep in mind that the spectrum of political opinions on this list is more varied than one might assume.  Please remember that before painting with any broad brushes.

3) Political matters, when they are related in one way or another to Milton (and canonicity and the problems surrounding cultural appropriation can be directly relevant), are perfectly legitimate subjects for discussion here, and there's nothing wrong with even vehement disagreement, but I urge Terrance and others to avoid using aggressively tendentious and even insulting labels when characterizing the positions of those with whom they disagree.  It's only likely to lead to more name-calling and a degeneration of the discussion to the point at which  it becomes nothing but a battle of caricatures.  Fine for a Facebook feed, but not here.

Best to all,

Louis

Louis Schwartz
Professor of English