[Milton-L] Cultural Appropriation and Reverse Appropriation: The English Language in the Development of Civilization

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Wed Nov 1 19:06:15 EDT 2017

thank you, Brendan, for taking the time to alert the list to Mr. L.'s lack of care in attribution. I think, in all seriousness, that because we live in the age of 'content providers' as opposed to writers, the old courtesies as to appropriation of almost any kind are commonly ignored. This happens not only in political speech writers, but practically every day in newspapers and television news shows. If you spend the hours from the beginning of the network shows to the later shows you can hardly fail to miss newspersons reading from scripts that are almost verbatim. That's why I love Rachel Maddow so much; no one can get away with using her scripts. Indeed, most of the so-called news readers would be incapable of following her arguments.

jim watt