[Milton-L] PL: the gap between the early editions (Complete set of Fletcher's Facsimiles are online and searchable)

John Geraghty johnegeraghty at hotmail.com
Fri May 19 11:39:58 EDT 2017

I found two of the four volumes of Fletcher's facsimile edition on Google Books in snippet view.  I requested them to do a copyright search and they have now posted a full view of one of the two volumes and are working on the second.

I then found archive.org has all 4 volumes on their site. The most useful to me is the ability to download a .pdf of each of the volumes.  The .pdf files are text searchable.   It is difficult to find them so I have included links below.

JOHN MILTON'S COMPLETE / POETICAL WORKS /Reproduced in Photographic Facsimile /A Critical Text Edition Compiled and Edited by / HARRIS FRANCIS FLETCHER

VOLUME I /POEMS, -&c. UPON SEVERAL OCCASIONS, 1673 /POEMS, BOTH ENGLISH AND LATIN, 1645 /With Fugitive Printings, Manuscript Copies, and Their Collations /URBANA /THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS PRESS /1943

https://archive.org/details/johnmiltonscompl01milt
pdf: https://archive.org/download/johnmiltonscompl01milt/johnmiltonscompl01milt.pdf

VOLUME II THE FIRST EDITION OF PARADISE LOST /With the Plans and Lists of Epic Subjects from the Trinity /College Manuscript, the Manuscript of Book 1, /with Transcriptions and Collations /URBANA /THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS PRESS /1945

https://archive.org/details/johnmiltonscompl02milt
pdf:  https://archive.org/download/johnmiltonscompl02milt/johnmiltonscompl02milt.pdf

VOLUME III /THE SECOND EDITION OF PARADISE LOST  /URBANA /THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS PRESS /1948

https://archive.org/details/johnmiltonscompl03milt
pdf:  https://archive.org/download/johnmiltonscompl03milt/johnmiltonscompl03milt.pdf

VOLUME IV /THE 1671 EDITION OF PARADISE REGAINED /AND SAMSON AGONISTES /URBANA /THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS PRESS /1948Vol 4

https://archive.org/details/johnmiltonscompl04milt
pdf:  https://archive.org/download/johnmiltonscompl04milt/johnmiltonscompl04milt.pdf

-John

<https://archive.org/download/johnmiltonscompl04milt/johnmiltonscompl04milt.pdf>
I stood before the Father:
 qui ASTO ante Deum   L 1:19

I stood before the Son:

A  nd all the spangled host keep watch in squadrons bright
S  ee how from far upon the eastern road
T  he star-led wizards haste with odours sweet,
O  run, prevent them with thy humble ode,

19 And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings.
20
21
22
23
24
25
26 In the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee,
27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary.
28 The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."