[Milton-L] The Scalpel!

Hyunyoung Cho hycho229 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 21:15:34 EST 2017

I agree with Dr. Rovira that the importance of the humanities education in producing “quality” work force is not properly recognized in the U.S.    I wonder it might help to convey the message if we advocate for the humanities and the humanities education more in the language of the business world.

Situated in Korea, I see a growing public recognition of the importance of the humanities, even though the humanities programs at colleges experience down-sizing and cuts as in the U.S   For example, Chosun Daily, a conservative and business-friendly newspaper in Korea, recently ran a series of articles on the future direction of Korean education, and they see the tradition of liberal education at American colleges, with its emphasis on discussion and writing, as a model to adopt and localize in order to educate new kinds of talents, the kinds that Korea needs in order to move beyond the manufacturing-based economy. The business leaders increasingly demand that universities educate people who can evaluate the situations on their own, come up with questions, gather relevant information, and solve the problem, rather than those who are just good at test-taking and completing well-defined tasks.  In Korea, these capacities are broadly referred to as “creativity” or “humanities-way of thinking.”

In case some on this list might be interested, these are the links to the articles in Chosun Daily.  They are in Korean, but the Google translator will do a tolerable job.

http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/01/14/2017011400207.html

http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/01/14/2017011400214.html?related_all

Hyunyoung Cho