[Milton-L] Support for Duquesne University Press.

Nancy Charlton charltonwordorder1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 17:55:24 EST 2017

I can do little but rubber stamp what others have said in praise of
Duquesne UP. I haven't written, since I am not am academic. I would
advocate hiring an expert fundraiser, as I'm sure that this cause would
resonate with some philanthropists, corporate and individual, who have
concerns about present aggressive tendencies toward the dumbing down by f
America.

I get ads all the time from the Metropolitan Opera, several symphonies and
museums, who think nothing of asking for contributions with lows of $300
and highs of 5 or 6 figures. Could not a university press or a consortium
of them do much the same? Offer a discount on all publications, or a
special premium if received by a cutoff date?  If know it sounds
hucksterish, but this is darned important! What could follow could be the
closing of other presses, or of Duquesne and other private universities.
Yes, the Milton Society could hardly exist without Duquesne. But could
Duquesne exist without the Milton Society?

If I were in a position to advocate anything here, I'd say call upon
Terrance Lindahl to follow up on the good ideas he outlined.

Nancy Charlton