[Milton-L] Duquesne UP

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 10:13:36 EST 2017

I'm forwarding this email from Peter Berkery on behalf of Rebecca Totaro,
DUP's MedRen series editor. She encourages all who are concerned to write
to Duquesne's President, Kenneth Gormley (president at duq.edu).

Hannibal

Kenneth Gormley, President

Duquesne University

600 Forbes Avenue

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15282

Timothy R. Austin, Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs

Duquesne University

600 Forbes Avenue

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15282

*VIA E-MAIL WITH HARD COPY TO FOLLOW*

Dear President Gormley & Provost Austin,

I’m Peter Berkery, the executive director of the Association of American
University Presses. I’m writing today on behalf of AAUP’s 141 members to
express our deep concern regarding Duquesne University’s decision to close
its award-winning university press. While I appreciate fully the financial
circumstances in which the university may find itself, and of course
acknowledge the obligation of every academic and support unit to contribute
to an institution’s overall fiscal health, an outright closure seems
disproportionate. Moreover, when faced with similar circumstances, your
counterparts at peer institutions have found alternative ways to ensure
responsible financial stewardship while sustaining a viable university
press.

I’m writing, therefore, to place AAUP’s resources at your disposal, in the
hope that we can contribute constructively to an improved outcome. As I
trust you know, this situation arises from time to time, and it’s been my
experience over four years that the resources we are able to marshal
invariably have produced a better result – individual presses,
institutions, and the university press community itself all benefit from
the knowledge, data, and experts within our network.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss with you—and/or with other
appropriate administrators— how AAUP can help you chart a better course for
Duquesne University Press and, as a result, your entire university
community. DUP’s 90-years of excellence are a contribution to scholarly
communications and the humanities that we cannot afford to lose.

With many thanks for your consideration,

/s/

Peter M. Berkery, Jr.

Executive Director

Association of American University Presses

1412 Broadway, #2135, New York NY 10018

1775 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC 20036

1-917-288-5594

cc: Darrin Pratt, President, Association of American University Presses

--
Hannibal Hamlin
Professor of English
hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com