[Milton-L] CFP: The Conference on John Milton (Oct 12-14, 2017)

Ainsworth, David dainsworth at ua.edu
Sat Feb 4 12:31:21 EST 2017

Hi, all,

The conference website is live and the paper submission forms now open. In addition to our featured speakers, we'll have a staged reading of Samson Agonistes Friday evening after dinner, and after the conference ends Saturday, we'll offer an excursion to the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, followed by a post-conference dinner at the Institute. (Those familiar with the Murfreesboro conference will recognize this attempt on our part to replace, though never to replicate, Cortner's Mill.)

Please pass along the word to friends, colleagues and students. My thanks to everyone who worked and who will work to organize this event, including Angela Balla, Lara Dodds, Angelica Duran, Tom Festa, Ryan Netzley, Margie Thickstun, Hugh Wilson, and especially Alison Chapman, our tireless host. And we of course owe a deep debt to the organizers of the original Conference on John Milton: Charley Durham, Kris Pruitt, and Kevin Donovan, who along with John Shawcross and all the original attendees created a sense of hospitality and collegial support which we hope to perpetuate.

Best,
David

CALL FOR PAPERS:
The 2017 Conference on John Milton
October 12-14, 2017, Birmingham AL

Papers (not to exceed twenty minutes reading time) are invited on any aspect of Milton Studies, from close readings of particular works to broader investigations of themes and trends.

Submit full papers (10 pages maximum) along with 150 word abstracts on the conference website:
https://cas.uab.edu/milton/

Deadline for submissions: June 19th, 2017

Featured speakers:
John Rumrich, University of Texas at Austin
Elizabeth Sauer, Brock University

The conference will be held at the Doubletree Hotel in Birmingham AL.
Questions may be directed to David Ainsworth (dainsworth at ua.edu)

Sponsored by
Hudson Strode Program in Medieval and Renaissance Studies
University of Alabama
University of Alabama-Birmingham
University of Alabama-Huntsville