[Milton-L] Fwd: [SHARP-L] Duquesne University Press closing

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Fri Feb 3 18:49:19 EST 2017

Friends:

Without knowing anything about the source of the decision to 'shut down' the university press as a 'cost-cutting' measure, and in the absence of any information about faculty involvement in the decision, I have to register a strong suspicion that the origin of the idea and the way those having  it have chosen to 'inform' the faculty of its decision, is aimed at more than cost cutting.

One can imagine asking faculty to assist the press in reducing its budget and considering alt. methods of publication including on-line digital texts that are still peer reviewed and carefully edited for example. And of outreach fund-raising to alumni, to specialty oranizations served by the press, and to authors on their list to rally in support of this long distinguished press. In a word, I smell a (very large) rat.  Can anyone give us more information about this?

James Watt

Allegra Stewart Professor of English (emeritus)

Butler University, Indianapolis, IN