[Milton-L] birthday greetings

Kemmer Anderson kanderso at mccallie.org
Sat Dec 9 08:38:39 EST 2017

*Happy Birthday John Milton, Englishman*

 Milton’s eyes marched across Homer’s Greek verse

With the form of epic shaping his mind,

Turning language into scenes he might find

Grafted on Athena’s tree: a diverse

Fruit with olive shine fated to reverse

Our course through Virgil’s poetics to bind

The sentence round Eden’s tree with the kind

Of words that grow disputes when we converse

With knowledge of good and evil on our tongue.

To be that apple in the hand of Eve

And know by that Delphic oracle

The dichotomy of nature’s sound sung

By the serpent whose prose made us believe

A lie.  Speech fell, then grew rhetorical

Until our hero’s words made a King leave.

Kemmer Anderson