[Milton-L] "Millions of spirits for his fault amerced Of Heaven."

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Wed Dec 6 08:18:58 EST 2017

The legal sense "fine" was noted by "P.H." in 1695. He added the interesting detail that the word "bears an affinity" with a like-sounding Greek word used by Homer, meaning "deprive." The Greek pun then slipped out of the editorial canon until Stella Revard rediscovered it in (I think) MQ. It is likely that Milton is using both the Greek and the French senses (including "at the mercy of").