[Milton-L] Cromwell bio?

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 11:03:32 EDT 2016

Definitely a move away from the scholarly, but if your friend hasn't seen
Ken Hughes's film *Cromwell*, it's well worth seeing. Richard Harris is
excellent in the title role, and Alec Guinness is remarkable as Charles I.

Hannibal

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Hugh Wilson <earlymodern at att.net> wrote:

> There are very good early biographies by Samuel
> Rawson Gardiner and C.H. Firth. Of the modern
> biographies, there are those by Christopher Hill
> and Antonia Fraser.
>
> HFW
>
> P.S. Thomas Carlyle published Cromwell's letters and
> speeches; there is a modern edition by W.C. Abbott.
>
> Your friend might also want to look at the laws:
>
> *The Acts and Ordinances of the Interregnum 1642-1660*,
> edit by Firth and Rait. It's online now.
>

> On Saturday, September 24, 2016 9:02 PM, Paul Yoder <rpyoder at ualr.edu>
> wrote:
>

> Greetings,
>
> A colleague is looking for a good bio of Oliver Cromwell.  Suggestions?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Paul Yoder
>
> --
> R. Paul Yoder
> Professor of English
> UALR
> 2801 S. University
> Little Rock, AR 72204-1099
> Office Phone: 501.569.8321

Hannibal Hamlin
Professor of English
The Ohio State University
Author of *The Bible in Shakespeare*, now available through all good
bookshops, or direct from Oxford University Press at
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199677610.do
164 Annie & John Glenn Ave., 421 Denney Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1340
hamlin.22 at osu.edu/
hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com