[Milton-L] Poetry

Jameela Lares jameela.lares at usm.edu
Mon Sep 5 18:07:20 EDT 2016

I think you have nailed it, Jim.

Jameela Lares, Ph.D.
Professor of English
University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037
Hattiesburg, MS  39406-0001

From: milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu [mailto:milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu] On Behalf Of James Rovira
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2016 4:18 PM
To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at richmond.edu>
Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Poetry

I don't think it's true any longer, John, that academic bureaucracy is overwhelmingly left or far left. I think the most progressive of them almost anywhere now are center-left: like Hillary Clinton, the most progressive are pro-choice neocons. We should keep in mind that boards of state universities can be political appointees, and they will reflect or at least be unoffensive to the politics of the governor's office.

I think it's more accurate to say that the academic bureaucracy is corporate rather than left or right. They might be pro-life or pro-choice corporate, but that's irrelevant to their management of the university or university systems. It's this corporate model and a corporate mindset that is killing humanities education at our colleges and universities, even at private institutions. I think if the whole truth were told this kind of leadership is noxious to any kind of effective education at all. It guts support where it's most desperately needed, in the core curriculum, because it doesn't understand the needs of incoming students.

Fortunately for politicians, it's always politically expedient to blame teachers and take populist cheap shots at professors. What do those eggheads know anyhow? They think they're better than us! Keeps people from looking at the real problems, which involve massive funding cuts, the failure of K-12 education (more cuts, bad governance), and bloated spending on administration and sports while the professoriate is being adjunctified.

Good thing people don't mind paying $40K in tuition to have their children taught by a professor making $2K a class per semester.

Jim R