[Milton-L] Poetry

Hugh Wilson earlymodern at att.net
Mon Sep 5 15:56:04 EDT 2016

When the humanities--as such--are under attack from reactionary governors prompted by right-wing think tanks, defenses of the humanities are always welcome. Merecynicism encourages capitulation to absurdity. If we careabout our profession, we must resist regressive trends.
A few years ago, when I offered to teach an extra class (on Milton)--for free--my request was denied. The class was closed and interested students were enrolled elsewhere before I could appeal.
Academic freedom is tenuous at many institutions. Bureaucrats often try to control freak the curricula and marginalize the faculty.Work-force development is the managerial buzz word of the day.
Martha Nussbaum's Not for Profit: Why Democracy Needs the Humanities [ 2012] seems germane. In the short run, high hopes may be naive, but hopelessness enervates and discourages exertions for improvement.
The struggle continues.
HFW