[Milton-L] Veritas

Nancy Charlton charltonwordorder1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 04:16:14 EDT 2016

Not very Miltonic, or even very literary, but getting lost in a  large wine
department can be quite an education. I haven't seen Magnificat for awhile,
nor Ruah. But yesterday I happened on I think it was a Chardonnay called
Love & Squalor. No Esmeralda, No Holden.

This outdoes my brother-in-law's label, Vercingetoryx. They had a small but
excellent winery, and their Pinot Noir is utter ambrosia. However, another
wine threatened to sue because their name and their labels were
superficiality enough alike to cause confusion. Rather than fight it, my
sis et ux said 'Okay, we'll just change it something nobody has ever heard
of.' He chose this Gaulish general who tangled with Caesar in one of the
Gallic Wars.

Almost literary is a local microbrew, Noble Scot. Pun on Noble Rot, the
botrytis that does good things for wine--but this is ale, Scottish ale
sporting a formidable Highland steer on the label. Every time I see it I'm
reminded of "Our Scots nobles were richt laith to wet thir cork-heild
shoon." But the King was drinking the "bluid red wine," not the nut brown
ale.

He had perhaps been one of Milton's wild youths, "flown with insolence and
wine."

They might have had, in a light moment, that marvel from Montana, Moose
Drool!

Moving to the produce section, "the nectarine and curious peach/ into my
hands themselves do reach," but unless I'm jamming and juicing and
jellying I have to exercise restraint and say "Farewell! Thou art too dear
for my possessing!"

Nancy Charlton
...holding both her sides!