[Milton-L] Do witches and devils held a "Concilio" or "Consiglio"?

John K Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Fri Jun 3 12:01:49 EDT 2016

Cp. also "a gloomy consistory" in PR. I have always loved that phrase, apparently a borrowing from Virgil, "concilium horrendum" (Aen 3.679), It seems likely that both Milton and Tasso were imitating Virgil--though "consistory" also has ecclesiastical significance that fortifies your case for a similar play in "council".

John Leonard