[Milton-L] Southern African Society for Medieval and Renaissance Studies Biennial Conference, 26-28 August, 2016

Leonie Viljoen viljol at telkomsa.net
Mon Jul 25 10:19:55 EDT 2016

Southern African Society for Medieval and Renaissance Studies Biennial
Conference

26 - 28th August, 2016

We are pleased to announce that the 23rd biennial conference of SASMARS will
be held at Mont Fleur in Stellenbosch, South Africa on 26 - 28th August
2016.

"Texts and Transformations: Medieval and Early Modern Cultures"

Medieval and Early Modern societies weathered various socio-cultural
transformations, ranging from economic developments to religious conflicts,
across a range of different geographies and in urban and rural spaces. How
did poetry, theatre, prose, visual art, architecture, and other forms of art
respond to such changes? How do we historically understand and assess
various kinds of social transitions?

At this year's SASMARS conference, Professor Carolyn Dinshaw (New York
University), an acclaimed medievalist, will be our keynote speaker, and she
will deliver the following keynote to the conference attendees:

"Black Skin, Green Masks: Medieval Foliate Heads, Racial Trauma, and Queer
Worldmaking"

Professor Dinshaw's profile can be accessed at
http://english.fas.nyu.edu/object/carolyndinshaw.html

The convener for the conference is Dr Derrick Higginbotham
(derrick.higginbotham at uct.ac.za <mailto:derrick.higginbotham at uct.ac.za> ).
Any inquiries can be directed to him.

For the latest SASMARS Newsletter and information about previous SASMARS
conferences, click on  <http://sasmarsnewsletter.blogspot.com/>
http://sasmarsnewsletter.blogspot.com/.

Kind regards

Leonie Viljoen