[Milton-L] Merit and Regicide was Merit, birthright regicide was RE: Not Milton, but a Miltonist in the NYT . . .

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jul 25 19:17:12 EDT 2016

Michael E Bryson: I would like to second James Rovira's hope that this list
is not about to descend into the "lower deep still threatening to devour"
that is a discussion of this election and either of these candidates.

====

I agree. We can escape to the political implications of Paradise Lost:

			. . . .and hast been found
By merit more than birthright Son of God,-

Query: Is this not a justification of regicide? If the ruler rules by
_merit_, than when that merit fails, it is just to deprive him/her of rule?

Carrol