[Milton-L] Not Milton, but a Miltonist in the NYT . . .

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 16:30:22 EDT 2016

Oh dear God, not this!  I won't respond to the range of assumptions
implicit in the words "get things done" or "not attempting miracles."
Thousands of people are on the streets yelling "HELL NO DNC WE WON'T VOTE
FOR HILLARY" because they believe democracy has been terribly compromised.
That's not the kind of thing we want to "get done."

Some things shouldn't get done. The kinds of things that you can accomplish
in collusion with the current GOP majority in Congress probably shouldn't
get done. Obama can't pass reasonable gun control regulations, which he
very much wants to, and which should get done, but he has been able to get
support for every military engagement he's wanted, along with a blank check
on drone strikes, which maybe shouldn't be done.

But rather than continue in this way, I'd like to recommend a book relevant
to this list instead:

*Surprise: The Poetics of the Unexpected from Milton to Austen *by
Christopher R. Miller. I've just completed the introduction and Milton
chapter and found it to be an engaging, instructive read. So far as I can
tell, it could have been written in 1966 as easily as 2016 in terms of its
approach, which is largely an intellectual history. It could have come from
Abrams or Lovejoy. But it doesn't feel at all irrelevant or dated, and the
writing is truly engaging. I'm happy to say that most of the academic books
I've read lately have strived for readability, and this book is among the
best on that point. I'd love to hear what Miltonists have to say about his
reexamination of being "surprised by sin" in *Paradise Lost*.

Jim R

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Richard A. Strier <rastrier at uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> Good article EXCEPT it's turn to taking back its praise for Hillary.  The
> "both candidates are uninspiring" seems to me a bad position.  I think
> Hillary is a good candidate, and that she works, and will work, within the
> realm of actual politics -- where plenty can be done, if one is not looking
> for miracles.
> RS

Dr. James Rovira
Chair and Associate Professor of English
Mississippi College
http://www.jamesrovira.com
Continuum 2010