[Milton-L] Information on William B. Hunter

Jameela Lares jameela.lares at usm.edu
Tue Jan 19 20:26:59 EST 2016

Thanks, Hugh!

-----Original Message-----
From: milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu [mailto:milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu] On Behalf Of Hugh Wilson
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:38 PM
To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Information on William B. Hunter

Dear Colleagues,

I found a brief obituary of William Bridges Hunter

(June 7, 1915-February 10, 2006) here:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/houstonchronicle/obituary.aspx?n=william-bridges-hunter&pid=16743595

A briefer note is found below.

https://paw.princeton.edu/memorials/9/14/index.xml?

On a more personal note, I append my poem,

Ubi Sunt [2006]

Bill Hunter, Al Labriola and Kate Frost, have passed; now Shawcross counts among the lost.
It's curious, what we remember now:
not when, but where; not what they did, but how.
The aging master scholar passes on:
the world's diminished by the glimpse of dawn; now they are gone, we stand a cubit less:
we take the news perforce, as by duress; no one discourses of their feats of mind, we most remember whether they were kind.
Ephemeral pictures dance upon the verge
of memory, the pictures blend and merge.
A sadness seeps inside, suffusing moods
where melancholy comes to roost, and broods.

Hugh Wilson

(318) 548-9817

wilsonh at gram.edu