[Milton-L] The Metaphysicals

JCarl Bellinger dionhalic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 03:10:06 EST 2016

Dear John,
(queries following yours:)

–in his later years how much company did M keep I wonder with Hebrew lyric?
Might it have pleased his ear more than the Greek?
<<
Or if I would delight my private hours
With Music or with Poem, where so soon
As in our native Language can I find
That solace? All our Law and Story strew'd
With Hymns, our Psalms with artful terms inscrib'd, [ 335 ]
Our Hebrew Songs and Harps in Babylon,
That pleas'd so well our Victors ear, declare
That rather Greece from us these Arts deriv'd;
Ill imitated...>>

—I would want to see ALL the English poems&poets Henry Lawes set to music.
Surely Milton could not have given such stunning, close to my heart, praise
to Lawes he did in th sonnet had M not closely, measure by measure, studied
the sense of the words the phrasal style and cadence of the music.
  Also,There are successive drafts of Lawes' settings of the songs in Comus
which presumably are a record of Milton's own collaborative work with
Lawes. The nature of the [Miltonic]changes made by Lawes in these
successive drafts might shed some light on the question of Miltons opinions
re the poetry at stake: he may not have liked it much. He didn't like
"fixed feet and syllables" which is all you get in metrical numbers, "that
cramped mode of speech" I suspect M may have had a distaste for
th conventional sound of iambs in the iambic line east as strong as his
distaste being served up a rhyme at every ending. "Committing short and
long" is some kind of criminal activity.

///

Harry whose tuneful and well measur'd Song
First taught our English Musick how to span
Words with just note and accent, not to scan
With Midas Ears, committing short and long;

Thy worth and skill exempts thee from the throng, ///
-Carl