[Milton-L] The Metaphysicals

Timothy Duffy td52 at nyu.edu
Mon Jan 4 17:25:56 EST 2016

Dear John,

This may not be precisely what you are looking for, but in 1983 Fredric
Tromly's short piece "Milton Responds to Donne" in MP makes the case that
an early draft version of Milton's "On Time" in MS Ashmole 36,37 fol. 22
borrowed directly from Donne's Holy Sonnet ("Death be not proud"). This
won't make trouble for the timeline of influence you propose, but suggests
the possibility of direct allusion in the drafting process.

All best,
Tim

Timothy Duffy, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor/ Faculty Fellow