[Milton-L] The Metaphysicals

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 12:53:47 EST 2016

Phillips also singles out "for his Divine Poems, the admired Mr. George
Herbert" at the beginning of his Life of Milton.

Hannibal

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 12:42 PM, Feisal Mohamed <f.mohamed00 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello, all
>
> There is a piece of circumstantial evidence note yet mentioned that can be
> used to answer John Hale's initial question: Edward Phillips' catalogues of
> poets ancient and modern, the _Theatrum Poetarum_ (1675; Wing P2075).
> Phillips is of course Milton's nephew and pupil, and it would be hard to
> imagine him having a more extensive knowledge of poetry than his uncle did.
> In the _Theatrum_ we find not only the "metaphysicals" but also many minor
> poets, women poets, and, as we would expect, French and Italian poets.
>
> Happy 2016,
> Feisal
>

>> On 01/02/16, *John Hale *<john.hale at otago.ac.nz> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Colleagues:
>>
>> What evidence is there that Milton had read the poems of Donne, Herbert,
>> and Vaughan? Or those of Marvell?
>>
>> Happy and productive 2016 to each and all.
>>

>> John Hale

Hannibal Hamlin
Professor of English
The Ohio State University
Author of *The Bible in Shakespeare*, now available through all good
bookshops, or direct from Oxford University Press at
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199677610.do
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1340
hamlin.22 at osu.edu/