[Milton-L] The Metaphysicals

Feisal Mohamed f.mohamed00 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 12:42:51 EST 2016

Hello, all

There is a piece of circumstantial evidence note yet mentioned that can be
used to answer John Hale's initial question: Edward Phillips' catalogues of
poets ancient and modern, the _Theatrum Poetarum_ (1675; Wing P2075).
Phillips is of course Milton's nephew and pupil, and it would be hard to
imagine him having a more extensive knowledge of poetry than his uncle did.
In the _Theatrum_ we find not only the "metaphysicals" but also many minor
poets, women poets, and, as we would expect, French and Italian poets.

Happy 2016,
Feisal