[Milton-L] The Metaphysicals

John Hale john.hale at otago.ac.nz
Sun Jan 3 14:32:46 EST 2016

Dear Richard and colleagues all:

Thanks for suggesting this aspect of Herbert. A powerful suggestion.

I hope indeed that Nigel or another can tell us who Marvell showed his poems in MS to.

My reason for asking the question was a hunch that (a)Milton read Greek poems more than Latin ones, and more ancient than English ones, with Italian somewhere in between.

BUT

(b)he may have read more new poems, new to him, before 1645 than afterwards. He read or heard his known favourite authors lifelong, yet none of those named is in English,

SO

(c)his ear for poetry and taste for it will have been continuously formed from ancient poets, ergo among other things, no place for rhyme.

But these are speculations: I was wondering if I had missed harder evidence about his reading of English poets-what and when.

I hope to hear more about the whole thing, in those quiet days of repose or reflection before MLA.

Thanks again?

John Hale