[Milton-L] Regicide

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 30 19:01:29 EDT 2016

I have, John, but I haven’t published it—and yes, the parallels were obvious, even then, though the circumstances and situations were held to be completely different (Mary was openly, demonstrably treasonous, having been involved in a number of thwarted plots to assassinate and depose her cousin Elizabeth.)

Her grandson’s treasonous acts were more of a George W. Bush variety—doing the opposite of what his subjects wanted and needed him to do, depleting their exchequer to please his favorite, appropriating their homes and churches to house his armies, levying outrageous taxes to fund his exploits, and so on.

Sharon Achinstein, Andrew Lacey, and others have written on the subject, too. If you want a comprehensive bibliography, e-mail me privately, and I’ll send it to you.

Best to all,

Carol Barton