[Milton-L] Regicide

John Hale john.hale at otago.ac.nz
Tue Aug 30 18:42:52 EDT 2016

When the Commonwealth powers were deciding what to do with Charles I after he had been handed over by the Scots, was there any known reflection on the parallel with Mary Q of Scots? - on the rights and wrongs of regicide, and the good and bad of the outcome? Or did all alike simply take the two situations as unlike, as from this distance we tend to, not having the same degree of belief that history repeats itself?

      Who has written on this as part of the lead-up to january 1649?