[Milton-L] Land skipping

Nancy Charlton charltonwordorder1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 14:19:26 EDT 2016

This is the title of a new study by Anna Pavord of British landscapes. She
uses the old form of the word, noting its use by JM:

"The word “landskip,” no longer in general use, survives as a British
regionalism (and is allowed in Scrabble). It first appeared as “landschap,”
a Dutch import, with colloquial English shaping “schap” to “skip.” John
Milton used it in “L’Allegro” in 1645: “Straight mine eye hath caught new
pleasures / Whilst the landskip round it measures. . . .”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/books/review/landskipping-anna-pavord.html?emc=edit_tnt_20160819&nlid=25711871&tntemail0=y&referer=

I hope my phone copied the whole title. If not, my apologies if I must send
you to the NYT site.

Stay cool and dry!

Nancy Charlton