[Milton-L] Milton and Utopianism

John Geraghty johnegeraghty at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 16 22:12:37 EDT 2016

This may be of peripheral interest to you. I was not aware of this work or controversy until recently.   Nova Solyma (1648) was translated from Latin into English in 1902 by Walter Begley. In his translation he made a case for ascribing it to Milton. Samuel Gott was later identified as the author.

Full catalog reference and links to complete Begley translations at Hati Trust:
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008628004

Full Title:
"Nova Solyma, the ideal city; or, Jerusalem regained; an anonymous romance written in the time of Charles I., now first drawn from obscurity, and attributed to the illustrious John Milton. With introduction, translation, literary essays and a bibliography by the Rev. Walter Begley."

also on archive.org
volume 1: https://archive.org/details/novasolymaideal00gottgoog
volume 2:  https://archive.org/details/novasolymaidealc02milt

Articles:
"NOVA SOLYMA": SAMUEL GOTT'S PURITAN UTOPIA
Patrick, J Max. Studies in the Literary Imagination10.2 (Fall 1977): 43.
http://search.proquest.com/openview/78c9278eef1cf9a3c6128a7c9ba0e869/1?pq-origsite=gscholar

NOVA SOLYMA: A NEGLECTED EDUCATIONAL UTOPIA
W. H. S. Dennis
Paedagogica Historica Vol. 16 , Iss. 2,1976
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0030923760160204?journalCode=cpdh20

Review:
Reviewed Work: Nova Solyma; Or, Jerusalem Regained by Walter Begley
Review by: C. H. Firth
The English Historical Review
Vol. 18, No. 71 (Jul., 1903), pp. 580-583
Published by: Oxford University Press