[Milton-L] New translation of Torquato Tasso's Creation of the World has been published

Salwa skhoddam at cox.net
Fri Aug 5 12:36:55 EDT 2016

Dear Jameela and David,

Thanks so much. I hope you will enjoy our translation. Carter and Dario have
explained in the introduction the challenges in translating from Italian to
English.

It is not a facing page translation. Perhaps in a future edition, Carter,??

There is one original online, an 1823 version edited by Vincenzo Antinori
(based on the first published 1607 edition of Il Monto Creato) published in
Pisa, by Presso Niccolo Capurro. Unfortunately, the lines are not numbered.

Our translation is based on a printed edition by Bruno Basile in his Aminta,
Il ReTorrismondo, Il Mondo Creato (Roma: Salerno Editrice, 1999), which
includes helpful footnotes on the sources of Tasso. There is another printed
Edizione Critica of Il Mondo Creato by Giorgio Petrocchi (Firenze: Felice Le
Monnier, 1951) with an extensive introduction and footnotes. Both may be in
your university library.

Our translation is the first complete one, a word-for-word and line-by-line
translation.

Very Best,

Salwa

Salwa Khoddam, PhD.