[Milton-L] Merit and Regicide was Merit, birthright regicide was RE: Not Milton, but a Miltonist in the NYT . . .

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 4 16:25:00 EDT 2016

Well, yes, Carrol Cox: in an ironic sense, that's true, in Charles' case.
When he was young, he was so fastidious that the ladies at court suspected
him of impotence (at best), a far cry from the conduct of his notoriously
licentious and lascivious father. And in our own era, we have seen men and
women of presumed (or at least supposed) merit fall. But Charles was by
birth rather than by merit rais'd, as was James, and as his father did, he
would have reigned until he died of natural causes, had Cromwell's men not
executed him, bad king or not--so I'm not sure where you were going with
this?

Best to all,

Carol Barton