[Milton-L] query re a milton edition

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 3 15:46:04 EDT 2016

I don’t think it has any sinister implications, either, Angelica. In the 17th century, there were political reasons for publishing controversial English pamphlets “elsewhere” (or at least pretending to), but by 1827, for a straightforward edition, those reasons wouldn’t obtain. Maybe they wanted a version in English in Germany—or maybe Fleischer knew a publisher in Leipzig who was willing to undertake the job, when publishers in England refused—or maybe the translation was an academic endeavor of some kind.

I am still trying to find out why my Italian great-grandfather apparently met and married a woman in Danzig a few years later than this edition was published, and stayed there long enough for my grandmother and her eldest brother to be born there! I guess such things were not as unusual as we might think.

Best to all,

Carol Barton