[Milton-L] milton's poor sonnet, installment 5, "mine"

Kemmer Anderson kanderso at mccallie.org
Sun Apr 24 22:22:19 EDT 2016

Greg, I like the person struggle across the age between one sonneteer to
another. I feel the same way more than sometimes when 5 out 14 are good
lines. In line 5& 6 Milton provided a biographical cause of death with a
sense of hope and grace. Please excuse the rewrite as I toss out Mosaic law
and work in a gospel allusion.

She walked upon the water to acquaint
Me with a faith in Christ, who walked the wave
"And such as yet once more I trust to have
Full sight of her in Heaven without restraint,"

Blasphemy of a sonnet of supreme beauty written by our blind hero who
struggled with grief, yet has experienced one of those dream gifts of an
encounter with someone you love who has died but seems so alive. Myth helps
form lines 1-4.
I have wrestled with this sonnet in my paper on How Thomas Jefferson might
have read this sonnet after his wife died. Great thoughts Miltonist
scholars and poets,and great observations from the students of the
sonnet.

Kemmer Anderson