[Milton-L] milton's poor sonnet, installment 5, "mine"

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Sat Apr 23 12:15:14 EDT 2016

Maybe it's just me, but I think this discussion is starting to lose the intellectual integrity that it had and becoming what Boswell saw in Dr. Johnson:  talking for victory.

There's fine line between seeing problems in a text -- which I think to be quite important, and quite relevant to lots of passages in Milton -- and making problems for a text, which seems to me an exercise in refusal of sympathetic response.

As in so many things, the fact that the line is fine doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

RS