[Milton-L] how the blind dream

John K Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Fri Apr 22 06:36:06 EDT 2016

That is a super question, Greg, and one I confess has never occurred to me. Thank you for raising it! I too did a google search, but included the word "blind", and found quite a few hits. Apparently, blind people can and do smell in dreams:

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2014/02/26/how-the-blind-dream/

Those who are blind from birth are most likely to smell and taste in dreams, but even those who become blind later in life rely on other senses than sight in their dreams. The relevant figures (from the National Geographic article):

About 18 percent of the blind participants (both congenital and later-onset) reported tasting in at least one dream, compared with 7 percent of controls. Nearly 30 percent of the blind reported smelling in at least one dream, compared with 15 percent of controls.

So it would seem that smelling (and even tasting) in dreams was not lost at the fall--so long as you are blind.

All best, and thanks for raising this fascinating question

John Leonard