[Milton-L] textbooks

Carol Barton, Ph.D., CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 21 14:47:03 EDT 2016

Mike, I'm afraid there's a pragmatic reason for that. I taught for a semester at a local community college in a generally affluent county--day session classes, so primarily composed of fairly recent high school graduates. The course description required that I teach two plays (one modern and one from an earlier period) and one novel. Because this was an ENG 112, I began with Death of a Salesman . . . which I was astonished to find that they had difficulty reading, even with the help of study guides containing questions I had written myself to further their comprehension. It was worse when we moved next to Huckleberry Finn, which I read in high school. Same story--copious background material, in-class readings, study guide questions--too challenging for them to appreciate. Hamlet was out of the question, so I told them there would be questions about it (matching, multiple choice), but no essays. I don't think half of them even tried to read it!

You can just imagine trying to teach Milton . . . !

(For one thing, you have to be able to read punctuation, which--beyond commas and exclamation points--many young people seem incapable of doing these days.)

That may sound snarky, but it wasn't intended to be. For me, it was beyond depressing.

Best to all,

Carol Barton