[Milton-L] a theoretical question, with practical application to sonnet 23

John K Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Tue Apr 19 10:42:21 EDT 2016

I too think the poem is diminished if we imagine two wives. I imagine just one, Katherine. A large part of the poignancy comes from the fact that Milton (and I prefer 'Milton' to 'Milton's speaker') had never seen her, and eagerly awaits seeing her face for the first time as she leans in to kiss, seeming about to lift her veil. Campbell and Corns add the significant detail that the expiry of her time of 'Purification' signals the time for resuming sexual intimacy, so the dreaming poet may be anticipating more than just a kiss. "But O...' I don't think anyone on this thread has yet mentioned the parallel with Adam's 'Methought I saw' dream in book 8 of PL (first noted by the Richardsons and since noted by many others). Adam (to Keats's delight) awoke and found it truth. The experience of this dreamer was not so happy, but even more poignant.

I'm astonished that this sonnet leaves some of you cold

John Leonard