[Milton-L] a theoretical question, with practical application to sonnet 23

Matthew Jordan matthewjorda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 09:56:50 EDT 2016

For me, two wives diminishes the poignancy as it increases the self-referentiality of the emotion evoked.

Tho I can't give a precise reference, Empson in 7 Types certainly sees as flawed cases of ambiguity (plurality of meaning) where the author seems merely confused or unclear in his thought.

It's true, tho, that "we" are almost constitutively keen on semantic "richness"....

Best, Matt

Sent from my iPhone