[Milton-L] finding the bad in what you find good, installment 3

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 20:13:55 EDT 2016

Carol --

Thanks very much for the response. What I expect from Milton's genius is a
clear reason for deviation from form, one that's closely linked to theme or
other content. I think the formal deviations are interesting in themselves.
I just don't think they're meaningful.

Harold --

Thanks very much for your response as well. I did read your post closely
when it came up and have been attempting to respond to it a bit, though not
with your background in classical or Renaissance poetics. Michael Gillum
responded too -- you might want to check for it.

Jim R

PS For what it's worth, the idea "salvation" under the "old law" doesn't
bother me so much, as salvation would have been defined differently under
the old covenant. There may also be an echo of the very NT 1 Tim. 2:15
here: "But women will be saved through childbearing--if they continue in
faith, love and holiness with propriety."