[Milton-L] milton's poor sonnet

Michael Bauman mbauman at hillsdale.edu
Thu Apr 14 11:13:22 EDT 2016

Well stated and well argued, Greg.  Thank you.

My nomination for a stinker line is from “Lycidas":  “his oozy locks he laves.”   It’s forced, lamely alliterative, and can’t proceed without resort to foreign words because no English word quite says what Milton wants to say in the right number of syllables.  If that is really the case, then perhaps Milton should not have tried to say it.  He needed to suppress that line and to build a more suitable alternative.  But he was too busy grabbing his blue mantle that he left the line in an unpolished state.