[Milton-L] victory conditions

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 15:35:44 EDT 2016

I think the discussion has been wonderfully instructive regardless of the
conclusions reached... or not.

I think we need to use scansion as an explanatory device to explain why the
poem may (or may not) sound awkward at points when read aloud rather than
starting with scansion to evaluate the poem's use meter. Scanning the poem
should provide the "why" for the "what." It's at that point that we begin
to hear each other's reading of the poem.

Jim R