[Milton-L] victory conditions

Bryson, Michael E michael.bryson at csun.edu
Thu Apr 14 15:14:21 EDT 2016

A good deal of this argument appears to over subjective taste. Issues of scansion and meter (regular and otherwise), imagery and phrasing, even a poem's handling of thematic concerns, do not always serve us as secure foundations from which to render objective judgments about the quality of a poem. I would contend (and often do when teaching) that The Passion is a howler, a bad poem whose badness is legendary, and not to be exceeded by many (if any) poets of Milton's overall stature. I base that contention, however, partly on the poet's own opinion, and partly on a subjective sense of the poem's inability to get beyond a kind of exaggerated throat-clearing about how "sad" the subject that it never gets around to treating would be, if it ever got around to treating it. I don't respond to it primarily (or even secondarily) on a prosodic level.

With sonnet 23, I do respond to the prosody, and have always found the second quatrain awkward. Does that reaction, and/or the awkwardness that I (and others, but by no means all) find in the poem make it a poor sonnet? I would have to say yes, but I cannot escape a sense that in saying that, I am saying as much about myself as I am about the poem at that point. Frankly, other than 7 and 19, I have always found Milton's English sonnets to be on the forgettable side--for me, nothing like Shakespeare's 130 or 138 is among them.

Without the great works of the end of Milton's life, would we find room for these sonnets on a seventeenth-century English literature syllabus? Would these sonnets have flourished beyond the scholar's gaze (the kind so brilliantly described by Yeats in "The Scholars")? Maybe. But I suspect the odds would have been better for "Lycidas" or "L'Allegro" or "Il Penseroso."

But such judgments cannot be completely separated from the judge.

Michael Bryson