[Milton-L] is "egypt, divided by the river nile" a poor line of verse, then?

Hugh M. RICHMOND hmr at berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 14 14:03:15 EDT 2016

 I have just completed a Milton course in which I celebrated the Sonnet on
his dead wife as the climax of his self-recognition, which was the
necessary precedent for his pending poetic triumphs. When I read it aloud
to audiences I find its personal immediacy has enormous dramatic impact. So
this time I used the memorable recitation of the poem by Ian Richardson to
communicate its full emotional potential, as found on our website at
miltonrevealed.berkeley.edu at the following address:

http://miltonrevealed.berkeley.edu/videos/john-miltons-sonnet-xxiii-his-dead-wife-1658-ian-richardson

<http://miltonrevealed.berkeley.edu/videos/john-miltons-sonnet-xxiii-his-dead-wife-1658-ian-richardson>

Some of the earlier discussion echoes the Augustan criteria by which Waller
was celebrated as a leading poet, because he never wrote an incorrect line.
But effective performance is everything!