[Milton-L] finding the bad good

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 14 11:49:26 EDT 2016

I agree with John about the general principle but not the instance.  And I agree that the tone and rhetorical stance of Gregory's remarks are offensive.  However, I have addressed the issue of critics finding the bad good in an article on Donne's Holy Sonnets, in relation to which I found that strategy rampant.  See "John Donne Awry and Squint:  The 'Holy Sonnets,' 1608-10," Modern Philology 86 (May, 1989): 357-384.

And as to bad lines in Milton, the less said about the elephant waving his lithe proboscis, the better, not to mention the more important bad line:  "Him who disobeys / Me disobeys."

RS