[Milton-L] Syntax of Sonnet 23

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Thu Apr 14 10:19:42 EDT 2016

Most of us are too old to change our minds on verse theory--there are three
main paradigms that don't communicate with each other. Like Creaser, I
follow the Attridge paradigm.

In Attridge, a normal pentameter has five beats, and beats do not always
correspond exactly to linguistic stresses. I agree with John Leonard's
scansion, /xx/xx//x/, with "th'Old" as the third beat syllable (counting-as
one syllable). To  perform this interpretation, one would emphasize "Old"
(it has contrastive stress) and linger over "Old ^ Law" so that both
stressed syllables register as beats.

However, it can be read as /xx/x/x/x/ (nearly Richard Strier's), with
"th'Old" as the fourth offbeat syllable, linguistically stressed but
metrically subordinated. To perform this interpretation, you would linger
over "in" so it can register as a beat (though unstressed). Then you would
hurry over "Old" so that "Law" realizes the fourth beat. The principal
difference is in timing. I prefer the former interpretation because it is
more natural and expressive of meaning.

In Attridge, iambic inversions take two forms: falling (/xx/) and rising
(xx//), both beginning on an odd syllable. You could say "A trochee must be
followed by an iamb and a pyrrhic foot by a spondee," but this is just
adding baggage. Rising inversions like "*to her glad ^ hus*band gave" are
somewhat ambiguous and may be forced into an iambic alternation. It is
really a matter of taste, but one should consider how important to meaning
is the third syllable in the stress sequence ssSS ("glad," "Old").

Michael