[Milton-L] Syntax of Sonnet 23

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 13 16:32:14 EDT 2016

I disagree with Creaser with regard to foot prosody, which is what all poets of our period thought and wrote in terms of.  But that is a MUCH longer discussion.

As to the particular line in question, I really do think that we must consider "in" as receiving metrical stress.  The reason for this is not just to eliminate some excessive weirdness, but also because there IS in fact a difference in stress between "tion" and "in," however small.  As Tim Steele points out in his terrific book on formal effects in poetry, all that is needed to produce a metrical pattern is some difference between syllables.  (This is why the old Trager and Smith "levels of stress" prosody -- which bedeviled Arnold Stein's book on Herbert -- was so unhelpful with regard to meter, however useful it may have been with regard to performance).

Cheers,
RS

Richard Strier
Sulzberger Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus
Editor, Modern Philology
Department of English
University of Chicago
1115 E. 58th St.